Wednesday, February 15, 2006

tricks, hoes, and bling

So last nite I watched Hustle and Flow with two of my favorite people. And I have some things to say about it...

Let me begin by saying it wasn't that bad. Although it reminds me a lot of 8 mile, its really not bad. Terrance Howard gives a good portrayal of the wannabe rapper D-Jay from Memphis, and the movie even has a suprise ending, that I sure didn't see coming.

That being said I have had my fill of rap for a little while. Im not trying to diss rap, however its just not my favorite musical genre. I do like some rap...Chronic 2001 is one of my favorite CDs, I enjoy Jay Z And I enjoy Kanye...(his music, now in real life he acts like an idiot.) Anything that has good lyrics, and a decent beat I will listen to. However I can't stand music that is all about rims, tricks, and how big your diamonds are. I guess I was just raised to be modest about how much I had...not to sing about it in list form. In the movie Hustle and Flow the songs he sings have the following titles: "You know it's hard out here for a pimp", and "Whip that trick" It makes me giggle thinking about those titles...I mean who talks like that? And should these things really be played on the radio?? That being said I guess I could contradict myself....I mean I have never been, nor met a pimp, but Im sure it is hard, and when tricks start acting up I guess they should be whipped. I guess this pimpin, and trickin lifestyle is not one that I am used to.

So I would recommend Hustle and Flow, even if you don't like rap. I think it has some decent acting, that helps the story line out. Terrence Howard is definitly proving to be a versatile actor. Do I think he will win the oscar....prob not. But he is on his way.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, "Hard out here for a pimp" is also nominated for best original song! Who would have thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home