Thursday, July 20, 2006

my little soap box

So episode two of Project Runway aired last night. And to be honest...it made me a little sad.

The first episode I will admit...I really didn't like Milan. He seemed cocky, and I think his accent is fake. However I thought his design was good, and they would probably keep him for good ratings.

Well last night Milan got the boot, and despite first impressions I was sad to see him go. Last night they touched on a little of the interworkings of Milan, and he seemed to have a troubled youth where his mother didn't understand him, and he was constantly an outcast. It really made me feel sorry for the guy.

Heres my thing...so many times in life whether it be elementary school, or even in the real world people get ridiculed for living outside of the box. While Milan was not a portrait of everyday society, he was a creative person, that for some reason or another was never really understood. But I think generally Milan is probably a nice guy. He just has gotten ridiculed for who he was his whole life, and thus he has probably just put up a huge defense to the outside world who constantly judges him as weird. Im not saying I am innocent I judged him from the get-go too, but first impressings can be decieving.

I know..I know. I am getting a little wrapped up in a tv. show. While it was the tv show that prompted the initial feeling, it just made me think on such a larger scale, about how people are judged because of who they are, or more-so who they won't conform to be.
Our society still trys to mold us into something, and out there in this world there are so many unique and creative people, that are judged badly (by first impressions) for their uniquness. Our society tells us to think outside the box, but when people LIVE outside of that proverbial box that is when society says they disagree.

I don't think all of society is like this...Eastern NC yes...it is like this, and being that I live here I see this hypocritism (is that a word?) everyday. Although I think bigger cities, embrace uniquness, and creativity in a whole different way then say...Greenville NC.

So yeah...Im sad to see Milan go. Yeah he should have gotten the boot, because his design was not great, but I would have liked to have seen him stay. Just because I think (and I could be wrong I have only known him for a brief two hour television stint) that hes one of those people that society as a whole doesn't get, and hes been dealing with that his whole life. Fashion is where he flourishes (well... except for last night) and with all those other fashionistas, he for once might have felt like he fit in, and we all need to fit in somewhere.

4 Comments:

At 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just saw a bit this show for the first time this season and they were designing dresses for miss USA for the miss universe pagent. (i only saw the first 20 minutes) do you know if she wore the dress that she chose to the actual gown competition?

 
At 6:17 AM , Blogger crice said...

yes...she did wear the dress. I watched the pageant just to see if she did. i thought the dress was pretty ugly on the show, but it looked awesome on her!

 
At 6:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 
At 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home