Tuesday, November 07, 2006

and for once greenville got it right!

Today is election day so I went to vote. I have to say I really was not looking forward to it...the lines, the waiting, and its raining out. I just really almost talked myself out of it.

The last time I voted was in Charlotte. First I had to park a good 1/4 mile away..then I remember waiting for 3 hours in the rain while a swarm of hornets tormented us. It was not fun. In fact it pretty much took up my whole day, and ruined what was left of it. That example in itself is why I am sure most do not vote...it can be a hassle. And when something is a hassle for most its just easier not to do it.

But let me tell you. Today despite the cold and rain voting was refreshing. I went to the Mt Calvary FWB church and pulled into the parking lot. Got a space and followed and walked right in. There were a couple of people handing out flyers for certain canidates, but none of them were pushy, and that was nice.

Entering I expected to find a line, but what I found was a group of women chit-chatting and when I walked in they said "Sugar whats your last name?"...something about being called Sugar makes you feel immediatly welcome. I told them Rice they looked me up, handed me the ballot and I was voting in no time. I stuck the ballot in the machine and a lady gave me a sticker, and said "thank ya baby"...I was a little in shock at how incredibly easy it was. And how friendly everyone was....it was a pleasure to vote. At the end I kind of hoped the ladies would invite me for lunch or something...that is how at home I felt.

So heres my thing...if voting was always like this I know more people would get out and do it. Since I live in smaller community voting can be easy, but sadly not all places can run as smoothly as the Mt. Calvary FWB. So hassle or no hassle we still have to vote...seriously people make sure your vote count. You only get one so you might as well use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home