Wednesday, January 11, 2006

$34.11

So this morning I went and got my mail, and behold my cell phone bill. Now anyone that has a cell phone bill probably can relate to opening the bill nervously because you never know what it might say. i have opened bill before that have been hundreds of dollars, but today was the first day I had ever opened my bill, and learned that apparently i have friends in Somolia.
My bill was strangly higher than usual. I try to keep phone conversations short and sweet, unless after 9, but as I was scanning my bill i noticed a new column....it read "international calls". and right beside it it read: Somolia. Apparently on Christmas day 2005 at 7:35 I called someone in Somolia. And apparently whoever in Somolia I called we spoke for 11 minutes! Now eleven minutes may not seem like a long conversation. Especially since i had never spoken to this person before...is 11 minutes really enough to get to know a person, or for that matter even break the language barrier? But 11 minutes is a pretty penny in the world of cell phones. That is when you are dialing a 3rd world country. If anyone wanted to know it costs exactly 34.11 to speak to someone in Somolia for 11 minutes. And no you can not use roll over minutes for Somolians. So I called Cingular. I mean one would think that if a past history showed that never once in my life I made a call to Somolia, (much less any international calls to date) they would have to reverse the charge. But of course nothing in life (especially customer service agents) is easy. For some reason the Cingular agent could not understand that I didn't know anyone in Somolia. And her dispute was that if I talked for 11 minutes then it must have been a call I meant to make. Well I could see her point...I mean how many wrong number conversations last for 11 minutes, but I was not backing down. Finally I asked to speak to someone higher than her, and then someone higher than the person higher than the original dumb ass I first spoke with. Eventually Evelyn at Cingular resolved my problem. BUT she did flag my account. If I ever call back disputing another international call made to Somolia Cingular will not credit my account. So if you decide to move to Somolia know that neither of us will likely speak again.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... i did have poans to vacation in somalia this summer... i guess go ahead and delete me from your adress book now

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger crice said...

let me know when your leaving. and please bring me back something special.

 
At 7:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do enjoy the little ditties- but mostly because the English is so funny! The pictures are great, but mostly it's the English I live for...Thanks Corndog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home